Since iOS 11, you can use the Files app to manage your files on iPhone and iPad. It can be used to organize files on device, in apps, on other iOS devices, in iCloud and other cloud services. However the iOS 11’s new file manager feature is still very limited for power users or those who like a more easier and functional file browser and manager. FileExplorer is a third-party file manager for iOS that we highly recommend. It’s the easiest file manager for iPhone I’ve ever worked with. In case you are acquainted with the Finder on Mac or File Explorer on Windows computer, you will prefer the FileExplorer app to the stock file browser app. It is not only a file manager, explorer but also a powerful cross-device data transfer and sharing tool. Explore the cool features of this file explorer for iPhone iPad and see how it can suit your needs below.
Now the app is renamed to Owlfiles in Sep 2022. Its UI has been completely redesigned and many improvements were made to this new app.
File transfer & share
Mac, Windows, Linux, Time Capsule, NAS(WD NAS, Toshiba NAS…), Sandisk iXpand Flash Drive, WebDAV Server, FTP Server, iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box
View, edit, copy, move, rename and delete your files right on iPhone/iPad. Sort files by name, date, size etc. Search files by file name. Zip and unzip files. List and grid view.
File format support
PDF, WORD, EXCEL, PPT, PAGES, NUMBERS, KEYNOTE, TXT, HTML; JPG, PNG, GIF, CR2, NEF, ARW, DNG; MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, APE etc. Music Playlist: CUE, M3U; MOV, MP4, AVI, XVID, MKV, RMVB, WMV, FLV, etc.
Stream movies, music from network shares and cloud storage to iPhone iPad; AirPlay photos, music and movies on TV
FileExplorer for iPhone iPad key features
- Organize all your files in one place. It can access not only local files, but also files on your computer, NAS and cloud storage. Connect and access WebDAV Server, FTP Server, SFTP Server, cloud storages from your iPhone iPad.
- It supports not only iCloud, but also third-party cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, Box and more.
- Access network shares on macOS, Windows, Linux, Time Capsule, NAS(WD NAS, Toshiba NAS and more) via SMB/CIFS protocol. Access Sandisk iXpand Flash Drive (Lightning USB Drive).
- Unlike other apps, this file explorer can automatically discover computers, NAS and FTP server thus makes the new connections setup easier than ever before.
- Transfer files among those locations. Stream movies and music from network shares and cloud storages to iPhone/iPad. Directly view and manage documents, photos, files without iTunes sync.
- Copy files among network shares, cloud storages, iPhone and iPad.
- Copy photos between iOS photo library and network shares/cloud storages.
- Use file transfer extension in other apps for transfer files to network shares and cloud storages.
- Nearby Devices feature allows iOS users to copy files among iPhones and iPads over Wi—Fi.
- Built-in FTP Server can be used to transfer files between computer and iPhone/iPad over Wi-Fi.
- View, copy, move, rename and delete your files right on iPhone/iPad. Sort files by name, date, size etc. Search files by file name. Zip and unzip files. List and grid view.
- AirPlay photos, musics and movies on Apple TV.
- Distribute configurations via MDM (Mobile Device Management).
- Directly create and edit plain text in the app.
- Use document picker extension in Work and Office apps to open file from network share and save it back after editing.
Supported File Formats:
- Document: PDF, WORD, EXCEL, PPT, PAGES, NUMBERS, KEYNOTE, TXT, HTML etc.
- Photo: JPG, PNG, GIF, CR2, NEF, ARW, DNG etc.
- Music: MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, APE etc. Music Playlist: CUE, M3U
- Video: MOV, MP4, AVI, XVID, MKV, RMVB, WMV, FLV etc.
Love this app. I don’t use cloud services rather have an extensive home network where in the network are Linux and windows pcs. I can without hesitation easily access files of all types on all networked PCs from anywhere. File and folder access is fast an I really love being able to connect to my Linux server via ftp. Fantastic app. Makes offloading photos,videos and all the rest very fast and easy.Perfect app to easily move and retrieve files
The industries in which I operate require the ‘Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner’ method of file management; files, files everywhere. FileExplorer Pro is the best app I have encountered for managing this neural network from my mobile device. The app supports webDAV, an incredible number of cloud-based file sharing services, ftp, sftp, several NAS— based storage file shares, and computer 08 file shares. Configuration is quick and simple. It can accommodate custom configurations as long as you can supply the security information. The app is reasonably priced, and it can quickly become your go to tool for safely and securely getting files where you need them while on the go.One App to Rule All the Files
I find myself using this app more and more now. it works well with I03 11 files app. I can now easily get files off my home NAS from many apps like Pythonista or Working Copy using File Explorers file provider feature. This pushes the app over the top for me and makes it something I use often to get copies of my current projects for reference while on a plane. I can move things around and back to NAS later if I make changes. It’s a feature set the Apple should provide but we all know they never will and would do a crummy job if they tried. FE is updated often and worth supporting because it’s a real tool for real work.Great integration with iOS files app
Update Sep 2022: this article was originally published in Feb 2018; the app has been rename to Owlfiles file manager and added the link to the new app.